The winter can be a difficult time for folks to stay active because it's dark early, cold, rainy (in California) and snowing in other places! But here are some tips that I use and encourage others to use to stay active during the Winter.
- Begin to plan for events that you want to do in the early part of the New Year e.g. pick a 5K, 10K, Half-marathon or other race/event so that you have something that will keep you motivated and training even when it's cold.
- Workout with others - join a training group or find a running buddy so that you have someone to meet several times a week. If you are working out with your family, make a plan to meet another family so that you have to keep your commitment.
- Change your routine for the winter - do more indoor stuff - more weight/strength training, yoga, pilates, dance classes. This gives your body a change of pace and you can easily stay warm and motivated.
- Buy warm clothes - I will run in rain or really cold weather so long as I have a good pair of gloves, a hat, long underwear/baselayers, a good windbreaker/jacket. Figure out what you need. Some people need tights, others have legs that will survive in any weather. Check in with your local sports stores and they can help you figure out how to layer for the weather.
- Swimming is a great way to stay fit, when it's cold outside, the temperature in the pool can seem very warm and welcoming.
Feel free to respond with other ideas that keep you active during the winter!